Alliance Army Ranks Edit
Here is the complimentary list of ranks. If one wishes to learn more about the ranks of the Grand Alliance Army, please see below.
Officer Ranks Edit
- Grand Marshal of the Army
- Grand Marshal
- High Marshal
- Field Marshal
- Lord Marshal
Senior Officers Edit
- High Commander
- Lieutenant Commander
Junior Officers Edit
- Second/Sub Lieutenant
Enlisted Ranks Edit
Sergeants Major Edit
- Sergeant Major of the Army
- Chief Sergeant Major
- First Sergeant Major
- Sergeant Major
Senior Enlisted Edit
- Chief Sergeant
- Master Sergeant
- Master Corporal
Junior Enlisted Edit
- Private First Class
Comparative Ranks Edit
|Grand Admiral||Grand Marshal of the Army|
|Posted Flag Officer||Grand Marshal|
|Vice Admiral||Field Marshal|
|Rear Admiral||Lord Marshal|
|Flag Captain||High Commander|
|Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy||Sergeant Major of the Army|
|Chief Warrant Officer||Chief Sergeant Major|
|Master Warrant Officer||First Sergeant Major|
|Warrant Officer||Sergeant Major|
|Chief Petty Officer||Chief Sergeant|
|Master Petty Officer||Master Sergeant|
|Master Seaman||Master Corporal|
|Able Seaman||Private First Class|
Grand Marshal of the Army Edit
Grand Marshal of the Army (GMA) also known as Grand Marshal of the Alliance, High General of the Alliance or Supreme Allied Commander, is the highest rank in the Grand Alliance Army. The Grand Marshal is the commanding officer of the Grand Alliance Army.
Since the creation of the office of High King, the rank of Grand Marshal of the Army has always been held by the incumbent of said office.
Known Grand Marshals of the Army Edit
- High King Anduin Wrynn
Grand Marshal Edit
Grand Marshal (GM) is a typically ceremonial military office of very high rank. Usually, the Grand Marshal is the commanding officer of a single Alliance nation's army, holds near absolute power within their respective army and is often one of the main directors of it's movements during war time. Alternatively, a Grand Marshal may be appointed to command the combined Alliance forces of a specific Front, such as in the case of Wrynn's Vanguard.
Although the most common title of the rank is Grand Marshal, each various Alliance state has its own name for the rank, as listed below
- Kingdom of Stormwind - Lord High Marshal
- Kingdom of Lordaeron - Grand Marshal
- Kingdom of Gilneas - High General
- Kingdom of Stromgarde - High Designator
- Kingdom of Kul Tiras - Lord Admiral (de facto)
- Kingdom of Ironforge - High General
It must be noted that Grand Marshal may also be bestowed upon others ceremonially as a sign of respect to service or other contributing factors which has aided the Grand Alliance.
Known Grand Marshals Edit
- Grand Marshal Acele Walkinson (Grand Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Grand Marshal Ashamal Shalah'aman (Grand Marshal of the Alliance Navy)
- Grand Marshal Julianne Tremblade (Grand Marshal of Wrynn's Vanguard)
- Grand Marshal John Padmore (Grand Marshal of the Alliance Army, deceased)
High Marshal Edit
A High Marshal (HM) is a rank of Marshal below Grand Marshal and above Field Marshal. They generally take command of military strategic outposts Much like Grand Marshals, it may be on rare occasions that High Marshal actually fight in the field, rather they may usually stay stationed at the nearest base to command the army from there.
Currently known there has only been one known person to have held the rank, the late High Marshal Twinbraid.
Recently there has discussions on the use of High Marshal, which has led many to believe that the rank should be abolished or molded into the other Marshal ranks due to it's rare awarding.
Known High Marshals Edit
- High Marshal Twinbraid (High Marshal of the Alliance, deceased)
Field Marshal Edit
Field Marshal (FM) is a very senior military rank, usually in command of thousands of soldiers.
Promotion to the rank of Field Marshal may include various reasons including extraordinary military achievement, outstanding command or a notable dedication to duty and service. The rank is typically used as a divisional or brigade command rank.
Unlike some of the other Marshal ranks, Field Marshals are often far more involved in actual combat than others.
Known Field Marshals Edit
- Field Marshal Brock (Field Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Field Marshal Jackson Amadatha (Field Marshal of the Seventh Legion)
- Field Marshal Kerwin (Field Marshal of the Alliance Army, currently a Prisoner of War in Ashran)
- Field Marshal Oslight (Field Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Field Marshal Vincent Ravenwing (Field Marshal of the Shadowtalon Company)
- Field Marshal Elmar Kraine (Field Marshal of the Royal Avorraine Legion)
Lord Marshal Edit
Lord Marshal (LM) is a high ranking officer within an army or major regiment. Lord Marshals leads major army units or regiments and are often some of the larger heads in the military planning.
Despite the ironic name, Lord Marshal does not require the recipient of the promotion to be of Stormwind Nobility, though many Lord Marshals are of peerage anyways.
Known Lord Marshals Edit
- Lord Marshal Adroby Relindor (Lord Marshal of the First Regiment of the Stormwind Guard)
- Lord Marshal Maxen Montclair (Lord Marshal of the First Regiment of the Elwynn Brigade)
- Lord Marshal Raynor (Lord Marshal of the Alliance Vanguard)
- Lord Marshal Larsarius Tagarn (Lord Marshal of the Stormwind Army, formerly)
Marshal (MS) is a senior Officer rank within the Grand Alliance Army, generally in charge of medium-large regiments, or even small Army posts. Marshals generally have a large say in the Alliance High Command, equivalent to the say of a Lord Marshal in the High Command.
Marshals generally do not work under anyone else directly, though in some cases they work under a Field Marshal.
Known Marshals Edit
- Marshal Afrasiabi (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Andrea DeSousa (Marshal of the Alliance Army/Currently a PoW in Ashran)
- Marshal Baldrec Ashcroft (Marshal of the Alliance Navy)
- Marshal Deronas Daerint (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Gabriel (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Giovoni (Marshal of the Stormwind Army)
- Marshal Gryan Stoutmantle (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Jarkob Wildhammer (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Jiroki Silverleaf (Marshal of the Stormwind Infantry)
- Marshal Jacob Alerius (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Karsh Stormforge (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Admiral Medris Featherwing (Marshal of the Alliance Navy Fleet Air Arm)
- Admiral Ranets Daggerfang (Marshal and Fleet Commander of the Grand Alliance Navy)
- Marshal Rhalitra Haddinkov (Arch-Marshal of the Kingdom of Alterac)
- Marshal Serpico Shar'adore (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Theodora Ke'tar (Marshal of the Alliance Army)
- Marshal Troteman (Marshal of Bravo Company of the Stormwind Army)
- Marshal Colin Taylor (Marshal of the Seventh Vanguard of the 7th Legion, retired.)
- Marshal Dilan Ravenshield (Marshal of the Alliance, retired.)
- Marshal Telriah Embershield (Marshal of the 41st Cavalry Legion & 605th Infantry, retired.)
- Marshal James Haggard (Marshal of the Stormwind Guard, retired.)
- Marshal Tanavar Lightpath (Marshal of the Ninth Regiment, deceased)
High Commander Edit
High Commander (HCMDR) is a junior rank of the senior officer ranks within the Grand Alliance Army. High Commanders are generally only seen in the Gilnean Army or elite units such as the Seventh Legion, and serve more like Marshals opposed to junior-senior officers.
Generally Gilnean High Commanders are seen as equal to standard Commanders when not in Gilneas-specific matters.
Known High Commanders Edit
- High Commander Darius Crowley (High Commander of the Gilnean Liberation Front)
- High Commander Halford Wyrmbane (High Commander of the Seventh Legion)
Commanders may work under Marshals, or have their own regiment or unit all together.
Known Commanders Edit
- Commander Alexander Marogos (Commander of SI:7)
- Commander Alexander Verdun (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Arthur Langley (Commander of the Alliance Eastwatch Regiment)
- Commander Ashlam Valorfist (Commander of the Alliance Military)
- Commander Atles Silverblade (Commander of the First Regiment of the Stormwind Guard)
- Commander Calidian (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Carver Aleckson (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Corren Caleborn (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Damian Blackbourne (Commander of SI:7)
- Commander Dextros Gates (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Galad Valoroff (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Garthian Rosewood (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Jobby Shortsight (Commander of Wrynn's Vanguard; PoW in Ashran)
- Commander John Rocksford (Commander of the Kingdom Defense Legion)
- Commander Kavid Thorson (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Miles Avery (Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Commander Mesenda Dawnfury (Commander of The Stormwind Circle)
- Commander Nathan Zaregorin (Commander of the First Regiment of the Stormwind Guard)
- Commander Amanda Everhurst (Commander of the Forty-Second Regiment of the Stormwind Guard)
- Commander Nathen Sherman (Commander of the First Regiment of the Seventh Legion)
- Commander Roberts (Commander of the Theramore Military)
- Commander Samuel Alberic (Commander of the Shadowtalon Company)
- Commander Teolon (Commander of the Eastern Offensive(Former); Alliance Military)
- Brian Alden (Commander of the Stormwind Army; Missing in action)
- Commander Garran A. McMillan (Commander of the Alliance 103rd Legion; Deceased)
- Commander Jarltor Volkein (Commander of the First Regiment of the Stormwind Guard; Retired)
Lieutenant Commander Edit
Lieutenant Commander (LTC) is an officer rank generally serving a senior soldier within a military regiment, and direct subordinates to Commanders.
Lieutenant Commanders serve as senior soldiers within regiments and sometimes even serve as executive officers to regiments that have a Commander as a commanding officer.
Known Lieutenant Commanders Edit
- Lieutenant Commander Clayton Barney (Lieutenant Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Lieutenant Commander Lucien Rivers (Lieutenant Commander of the Stormwind Army)
- Lieutenant Commander Anvaere Stark (Lieutenant Commander of the Ninth Echelon of the Stormwind Army (Defunct))
- Lieutenant Commander Valynde Malvine (Lieutenant Commander of the Ninth Echelon of the Stormwind Army (Defunct))
- Lieutenant Commander Thalvos (Lieutenant Commander of the Alliance Expedition to Draenor, deceased.)
Major (MAJ) is a senior officer rank generally taking the task of administrative duties, though may also serve as field commanders. Majors normally serve as seconds-in-command of battalions or rarely are company commanders. In the former case, they often direct multiple sub-units underneath them when deployed.
Majors are some of the most senior staff within regiments, and are also the most senior junior officer rank within the Army.
Known Majors Edit
- Major Mattingly (Major of the Stormwind Army)
- Major Mills (Major of the Theramore Guard, presumed deceased.)
- Major Samuelson (Major of the Stormwind Royal Guard, deceased.)
Captain (CPT) is a junior officer rank generally taking up the task of assuring orders given by the highest ranked staff are properly received and executed.
Captains serve as the more senior soldiers of the junior officer staff.
Known Captains Edit
- Captain Andorizian Nightgale (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Damond Osrana (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Garion Magnus (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Jhazlo Shalah'aman (Captain of the Administration Resource Management Department, Stormwind Army)
- Captain Kahene Starshatter (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Ross Dawkins (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Xaljorn Dwal'bojom (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Auldan Longbrooke (Knight-Captain of the Stormwind Army)
- Captain Archadius Crawford (Captain of the Seventh Legion, AWOL)
- Captain Doren (Captain of the Stormwind Army, deceased)
Lieutenant (LT), also known in units taking use of the rank of Second Lieutenant as First Lieutenant (1LT), is a junior officer rank that serves as the most junior of officer ranks and take up basic field-command and management duties, generally underneath higher staff.
The rank may be earned directly advancing from a high-ranked non-commissioned officer (enlisted) position, or in some regiments from Second Lieutenant if they take use of said rank.
Known Lieutenants Edit
- Lieutenant Alicia Crawford (Lieutenant of the Alliance Military)
- Lieutenant Sheeley Sit'Tabat (Lieutenant of the First Regiment of the Stormwind Guard)
- Lieutenant Nathen Sherman (Lieutenant of the Alliance Military)
- Lieutenant Nix Riley (Lieutenant of the Alliance Military)
Second Lieutenant Edit
Second Lieutenant (2LT), also known as Sub-Lieutenant, is the second most junior officer rank of the Grand Alliance Army technically, though is often not used. Second Lieutenants are often skipped and most regiments take right to Lieutenant, but for those that do not, Second Lieutenant serves as a platoon command or staff officer rank.
Known Second Lieutenants Edit
The rank of Ensign (ENS) serves as that of 'officer-trainees' in a way, and are the most junior officers of the regiment. Ensigns are also known as Cornets in cavalry regiments and rarely as Third Lieutenants, the most common occurrence of this being in the Gilnean Army. Ensigns also have the role of carrying the regimental banner during a parade or ceremony, a task which granted the rank its name.
Known Ensigns Edit
Sergeant Major of the Army Edit
The highest ranking enlisted soldier in a nation's army, Sergeants Major of the Army (SMA) typically advise the top officers of High Command and are responsible for all enlisted members of an army. Although a Sergeant Major of the Army is separately appointed for most Alliance nations, there is also a Sergeant Major of the Grand Alliance Army who, as the direct adviser to Alliance High Command and the Grand Marshal is considered a higher, separate post.
Known Sergeants Major of the Army Edit
Chief Sergeant Major Edit
The Chief Enlisted Officers of a Army Corps, Chief Sergeants Major (CSM) are tasked with advising the commanding Marshal or General of their unit. Chief Sergeants Major are rare, as very few kingdoms have large enough armies to host more than several Army Corps. Chief Sergeants Major serving as Staff Officers at Army High Command are known as Chief Staff Sergeants Major.
Known Chief Sergeants Major Edit
First Sergeant Major Edit
The adviser to commander of a brigade, First Sergeants Major (FSM), also known as Brigade Sergeants Major or by the more archaic term Master Sergeant Major, are high ranking NCOs of the Grand Alliance Army. Like Chief Sergeants Major, First Sergeants Major can also be found in Staff Officer roles, where they are known as First Staff Sergeants Major.
Known First Sergeants Major Edit
Sergeant Major Edit
Sergeant Major (SGTM) is one of the the most senior enlisted rank in the army, and typically the senior most rank in a regiment. Sergeants Major generally working close with the officers of a regiment whilst Chief Sergeants, Master Sergeants and Sergeants report to them. It can be noted that some regiments do not have Sergeant Majors or Master Sergeants, and Sergeants report directly to the officers.
Known Sergeant Majors Edit
- Sergeant Major Balthear Fironis (Sergeant Major of the Alliance, retired)
- Sergeant Major Staniel von Fleischer (Sergeant Major of the Stormwind Army, Knight of the Alliance)
- Sergeant Major Horace Ladimore (Sergeant Major of the Stormwind Army)
Chief Sergeant EditChief Sergeant (CSGT) is the most senior enlisted rank of the Grand Alliance Army, ranking beneath Sergeants Major. Chief Sergeants are typically assigned as the Chief Enlisted Officer of a battalion, serving as an adviser to the commanding officer of their unit like most other Sergeants. Chief Sergeants serving in staff roles are known as Chief Staff Sergeants.
Known Chief Sergeants Edit
Master Sergeant Edit
Master Sergeant (MSGT), also known as Color Sergeant, First Staff Sergeant, or First Sergeant, is a senior enlisted rank in the army, generally reporting to the Sergeant Major of a regiment or a battalion's Chief Sergeant, and is typically in charge of all enlisted soldiers within a regiment. It can be noted that some regiments do not have Master Sergeants, and Sergeants report directly to the Officers.
Known Master Sergeants Edit
Sergeant (SGT) is the most junior-senior enlisted rank in the army, generally reporting to the officers of a regiment, or a Master Sergeant. Sergeants generally lead many Corporals as the commanders of platoons or serve as the Executive Officer to a Lieutenant or Sub Lieutenant. Sergeants who serve in staff roles are know as Staff Sergeants, and those assigned to manage training may be known as Drill Sergeants.
Known Sergeants Edit
Master Corporal Edit
A relatively rare rank, Master Corporals (MCPRL) typically serve either as a logistics officer officer of a small unit such as a platoon or are a singular position in a regiment that serves as the overseer of the training of regimental Recruits. Cavalry Master Corporals are typically known as Master Brigadiers and Master Corporals of the artillery are known as Master Bombadiers. Sometimes they are also known by the archaic term of Lance-Sergeant.
Known Master Corporals Edit
Corporal (CPRL), also known as Brigadier or Bombadier, is the most senior-junior enlisted rank in the army, generally reporting to the rest of the non-commissioned officer staff.
Corporals are the first non-commissioned officer rank of the Army, though take up the smallest of tasks regarding administration and field command.
Known Corporals Edit
Private First Class Edit
Private First Class (PFC), also know as Private Proficient or Lance-Corporal is a junior enlisted rank in the Army. Often Private First Class is a rank that is left unused, though for the regiments that do, they are the basic soldiers of the Army, often having more training than a standard Private.
Known Privates First Class Edit
- Private First Class Rhodri Brancaster (Private First Class of the King's Own Wickhamshire Highlanders)
Private (PVT) is the second most junior-junior enlisted rank in the army, generally reporting to a Corporal and or Sergeant.
Privates are the most junior ranking soldiers of the Army except for Recruit.
In cases that a regiment takes use of the rank Private First Class, Privates will generally be less-trained and less-qualified soldiers.
Known Privates Edit
The lowest rank of the Grand Alliance Army, Recruits (RCT) are typically newly enlisted soldiers that have yet to complete a term of assessment or basic training. Unlike other ranks, Recruits have no rank insignia.
Known Recruits Edit